Monday, July 28, 2008

Bumps and Bruises

As a parent, it's really hard to see your kids get injured. The intellectual side of you says, "accidents happen" and "kids will be kids" and "it's all a part of growing up" and all those other cliches...but let me tell you, it does not make it easier. Especially when you have a daredevil who sometimes seems intent on trying to make you go prematurely gray with her tactics and adventuresomeness (is that a word?? if not, Olive has created it). Anyway, this weekend while we were sitting playing with Olive (3 adults - me, Dennis, and his mom), she ran smack into the door frame, resulting in a big goose egg on her forehead. Ouch! But didn't seem TOO bad and faded away fairly quickly. Then, this morning, as we were getting out of the car at the park to go to a birthday party, Olive tumbles out and hits the pavement, and now has a big purple bruise smack in the middle of her forehead. This poor child!! I was in tears and totally upset. She cried for about 10 seconds, then saw some kids on bikes and started crying for a different reason - "I wanna ride my bicycle!" Are you kidding me??? I was so upset over this fall and she wants to ride a bike!?!? Hours later, I was still upset by this, but she is a tough little cookie. Tougher than me, that's for sure. I could learn a few things. But it's never easy to see your child hurt and the big purple spot on her head is a constant reminder of her injury, breaking my heart again and again and again.

1 comment:

Sharon - Pixie Bows said...

it is hard but you will have to get used to it if she is a dare devil, Dylan is a crazy wild child and I think she is a living bruise these days! And then Jack is Mr.Caution, he barely gets hurt. Who would have thought, girls are more Dare Devils???