Monday, August 25, 2008

Book Reviews

So I've been a slacker with my blogging lately because I've been busy planning birthday parties, family trips, shows for my business, and reading. I've read two books that I haven't reviewed so thought I'd catch up a little here and provide some reading recommendations for the end of summer.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
I decided to read this book because it was highly recommended to me. I still have not yet read Hosseini's other book (The Kite Runner) but it's on my list. Everyone I know who has read either of these just raves about how good they are. In fact, even the lady who checked me out at the library said how good this book was so I was thrilled to read it. Lately I've been into reading a lot of books that are totally different from my own life, something I can't necessarily relate to. This book is a story about two women living in Afghanistan over a turbulent 30 year period, ending shortly after 9/11. To say that it is poignant doesn't even begin to describe it. For those of us who have always lived the cushy US life, it's so hard to imagine the way things have been in other countries, even in recent times. To live in a country that is always at war, to be a woman and not always have the freedom to marry who you want or to work a job outside the home. These things are beyond our scope because they seem so outdated and unfair. There were parts of this book that were so sad that I almost put it down, but I persevered because I reminded myself that this is a sad reality for many and I should at least open my eyes to these injustices. The book did not end exactly as I thought it would but it was definitely an interesting read. I'd highly recommend this and give it 4.5 stars.


Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Sophie Kinsella, the author of the Shopaholic books, is back with a new one. In this story, Lexi Smart has a car accident and loses her memory of the past three years. When she wakes up, she has this perfect life, a gorgeous rich husband, a fantastic job, a great body, and tries to piece together what happened over the three years that she can't remember. While this is not a deep read, it's a fun beach book, a great one to pass a few minutes of time, and a super quick read. A book that shows us the importance of liking yourself for who you are, no matter who that may be. Four stars for an entertaining, light read.

No comments: