Monday, June 16, 2008

taking a real vacation

When you're on vacation, are you really on vacation? Do you still check email, voicemail, do work, worry, etc.?? I usually do those things but on this trip, I didn't do it too much. I did occasionally check email and respond to friends sometimes, but mostly I was just taking a break from my regular life. I didn't do work (or even worry about it), I pretty much never had my cell phone with me, and I chose not to think about my day-to-day activities. It was so wonderful and I feel so refreshed and with a new perspective on life. I also read "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's all small stuff" again (by Richard Carlson, PhD) and feel so peaceful and easygoing. I am trying really hard not to slip back into my frenzied life now that I'm home but instead try to relax, do one thing at a time (no more multitasking for me), and try to remember what is truly important. On your next vacation, take a real vacation. I promise it will change you for the better.

No comments: