Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Book Review: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs



The Friday Night Knitting Club
by Kate Jacobs

My book club just finished reading this book and we met last night to discuss it. Unfortunately, not everyone had read the book so the discussion was a bit limited but overall, everyone seemed to like it. A story about unlikely friendships, personal strength, courage, and determination, this book is sure to please. It evokes emotion and you really identify with the characters. I won't spoil it but it didn't end how I would have expected, and I always like surprises. One of our book club members said she heard this was going to be made into a movie, with Julia Roberts as the star (which is funny because she is actually mentioned in the book). I hope they do because this is a great story. It also made me really appreciate the fine art of knitting - I never realized just how hard it is or how much work and love is put into it. If you're looking for an easy read, check this one out.
Our next book is "Veil of Roses" by Laura Fitzgerald (see sidebar for link and cover image). You will also notice that the book "Chesapeake" by James A. Michener is there...this is a great book that I've been working on for a long time, highly recommended by my dad. It's not a quick chick book but very interesting nonetheless. It is a fictional story through the decades but based on historical fact. I've really learned a lot about this region from it. Check it out too!

No comments: