Monday, February 23, 2009

Patience

I really need a lesson in patience.

I'll admit, I get frustrated a little too easily sometimes. I've never been the most patient person but this has only gotten worse over the years. I know part of that is marrying Dennis, who comes from a culture of hurriedness, where everyone is always rushing for everything. (and he thinks I'm slow, I understand his frustration because I often have it with others, namely Olive). Actually, the majority of my lack of patience these days comes with Olive. I know, I know, she is only 2 years old, but sometimes she drives me crazy. I think I get annoyed with her lollygagging because most of the time it's not just taking her time, it's manipulation, and that really bugs me. It often takes a good 30 minutes or so just to get dressed, go potty, and brush her teeth. Not that it ACTUALLY takes this long (sometimes she'll do it in under 3 minutes) but she always wants to drag things out. This is especially true of the nighttime routine, which has extended from 30 minutes to an hour or more sometimes. I know, I should just enjoy this time together, but it often feels like a waste of time. How many more times can you say, "let's get dressed" before you want to scream?? Unfortunately for me, it's not that many. I get really annoyed that she doesn't always want to do the exact same things I do. This is unfair and I know that, but she is always testing me at every turn and sometimes I just wish and pray she would just do it the way we want her to without it turning into a big deal. Sigh... Anyway, just wanted to vent I guess. Does anyone have a time when they were particularly impatient (either with or without reason)? Any tips on scooting along a pokey toddler??

No comments: