Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Living in an online world

The world is getting smaller. We are getting more connected yet less attached.

In our online world, we are members of a multitude of online groups, both for fun and for work and for school. I know I am personally a member of about 6 or 7 groups through Yahoo and Google, not to mention 2 or 3 other networking sites. This is great and gives me a pulse on the outside world and a fantastic way to relay information to lots of people at once. However, I feel like in our online world, we have lost the sense of intimacy and personal relationships that were once abundant. We have many more "friends" or "contacts" but fewer heart-to-hearts. I love that through the virtual world we can quickly, easily, and freely keep up with our loved ones far away but I think that through this method, in a sense, we keep everyone far away. Don't get me wrong - I love my computer and email - it is a way for me to keep up with all my friends and not have to worry if Olive is screaming in the background or I can write to them at hours I would never dare use the phone. But I do think this adds to the frantic-ness of our lives and not feeling as connected to those around us. I would love for the world to re-establish that sense of personal connections but since it seems lost, I will do what I can to make my virtual connections as meaningful as possible.

No comments: