Thursday, January 8, 2009

A potty training break through


We have been semi-potty training Olive for awhile now.

During Thanksgiving break, we were traveling to Florida and I'd say she got about 80% pee pee trained but when we came back home, she wasn't interested anymore and I was lazy and didn't push it.

So we've started trying again and have been mostly wearing big girl panties but for naptime and bedtime and she's done OK. She hasn't necessarily recognized the urge but will go on the potty when she is there.

This morning, she was in footed zip-up pajamas with a regular diaper on. I ran upstairs to get her something and I heard the clink of the toilet seat hitting the back. Huh?? I went downstairs and she had stripped off her PJs, her diaper, put the potty topper on (which she never usually uses), climbed up on the potty, peed in the potty, and gotten back down, standing naked in the bathroom with a huge grin and said, "Mommy, I went pee pee in the potty!" I was so shocked I didn't know what to do!! So I did what I would have wanted and showered her with kisses, hugs, and of course, chocolate. Her diaper was dry and she had recognized the urge to go and just took care of it, all on her own. AMAZING!! Then after this, she put on her shirt and socks for the day all on her own as well as a couple of other small independent tasks. I was blown away. Where did my baby go??? I am still reeling with the success of her taking care of this on her own and before she had an accident. Wow. I feel like we're making progress.

That's the excitement of the day. Maybe I should get a life... ;)

1 comment:

Slacmc said...

I think that you have every right to be excited. That is incredible! I love it when they have moments of greatness.