Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tragedies

I try to read the paper in the morning over breakfast. I must admit, I don't do it every day and I don't read every story. But I get the headlines and highlights. I also read the Metro section of the paper to find out what's going on in our area.

This week, there have been two separate instances of a husband killing his children, wife, and then himself. This is so sad in so many ways. In both cases, the men were facing financial difficulties. One of the men left suicide notes, the other did not. I'm not sure what they are thinking but it seems that they are ashamed of their financial problems and possibly trying to "spare" their families the embarassment, guilt, etc. of dealing with it. It's so sad when you think this is the only way out. The even sadder part is that they took the lives of those who loved them too.

I also read this morning about a top financial guy from Freddie Mac (I think, don't quote me on that) that also committed suicide. These are the incalculable costs of a recession. It's not just that we're not buying luxury cars and overpriced houses. People are in it so deep that they can't figure out another way out.

So I just say that if you or someone you know is facing financial difficulties, there are lots of resources to help. You're not alone. And please know that if you ever got into any kind of trouble (financial, legal, whatever), there are people who are there for you and will not judge you.

No comments: